Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Godfather

This week, I have to admit to violating my rules a bit. I saw that The Godfather was going to be on TV and decided I had to watch it. This is one of, if not the most, iconic movies in America cinema. People have been telling me for years that I am a fool to have not seen this movie earlier. So, I sat down, flipped on the TV and watched away. And I didn't think it was all that great.

3.bp.blogspot.com
Before I get crucified for saying that, allow me to explain myself. First things first, this movie is long. Very long. I was watching TV for four hours. And that's where I feel my problem with The Godfather lies. I learned that watching a movie as intricate as this on TV was a huge mistake. The commercial breaks made the plot line incredibly difficult to follow. I also had the volume jacked up pretty high, but still found myself missing some of the dialogue. Maybe that is just due to me usually watching movies and such on my computer with my headphones in, but that is unrelated.

For the movie itself, I can definitely see why people would like it. As mentioned, the plot line is so intricate. I actually had to pull up the Wikipedia article near the end of the movie just so I knew what was happening for the ending. And the acting is world class. Marlon Brando is perhaps my favorite actor of all time, and he was so superb in this role. I knew Al Pacino was in The Godfather, but it took me halfway through to realize who exactly he was. He didn't talk or look like the Al Pacino I have grown accustomed to, so that was a bit of culture shock.

If you aren't paying close attention to The Godfather, like me, then you will surely miss out on all the good this iconic film as to offer, as I did. I definitely plan to rewatch it, just to get a full experience of this movie. Every small, seemingly unimportant little action proves to be ultimately important. If not for the plot itself, then in the forming of the characters. The characters are so full and robust in The Godfather, they feel like real people.

Worth your time, if you have the adequate time and attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment